why is thames pronounced tems

It's the. Thames is pronounced as temz to rhyme with shemz, unless you mean the one in Connecticut, which is pronounced Thames. Here's a quote from the American Heritage Dictionary: Etymology The modern spelling of the word Thames illustrates an interesting No one has come close to getting the regional pronunciation of the state correct for Merlin, so I thought I would add it. Just that its the way I learned to say it. Usage explanations of natural written and spoken English. Enter your email address to send future blog posts to your inbox. The name Tamyse was popular in Anglo-Saxon times but it has been known as Thames since c. 1600. Thames fish There is an incredible 125 species of fish that have been found living in the Thames, and this includes species of conservation and commercial importance. comes from the name of the Greek letter rho and refers to how the // sound is handled in a given accent. The town was formed in 1870 from two smaller settlements Shortland and Grahamstown founded to support gold mining in the early 1860s. Still pretty close to Tims. The lower ranked soldier on the left protected the senior officers left side. Train travel in Britain on the day of a scheduled strike, London to Dover to Calais to London in a Day, Oyster Card for Kids 11-15 from Heathrow to London City, Help with 9 days itinerary - London and (?where else), Travel from Heathrow airport to London City Airport quickly. Add ${headword} to one of your lists below, or create a new one. I always thought I was being correct to say suh-calk-es, but someone told me they say SEE-cawk-uhs. At 215 miles (346 km), it is the longest river entirely in England and the second-longest in the United Kingdom, after the River Severn. How do you pronounce Thames Street in Newport? Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The Taliaferros settled in Virginia, then one of their descendants moved down to Georgia. And as we're on pronunciation, a shire is NEVER a shire it's a shure or a sheer. ;-). Actually, I haven't often heard it pronounced differently, though im from NZ, so maybe we're just weird. In 1957, some parts of the river were declared biologically dead, however it is now home to three kinds of sharks- the tope, starry smooth-hound and spurdog. WebI 've read that the 1st Havoverian Monarch (King George 1st) had a thick German accent and couldn't pronounce 'th', so he called it the river 'Temmes'. And as we're on pronunciation, a shire is NEVER a shire it's a shure or a sheer. Simply put, the river's name has always been pronounced 'tems', with a simple 't' sound. My brother cannot for reasons unknown, say 3 words properly. Copy. The Thames is derived from a Middle English term, Temese, which is also derived from the Brittonic Celtic name, Tamesas, which could mean dark. Press J to jump to the feed. Just like my comment on Itly instead of Italy--is it a regional thing? The pronunciation of Thames comes from the words original spelling, which had pre-Celtic roots. Re: Silly question, how is "Thames" pronounced? Batman then names about 10 cars, and each time the butler says, "not *that* car." Why do British people say SAWR instead of SAW? The pronunciation of Thames is often confusing for foreign speakers because it is counter-intuitive. At 215 miles (346 km), it is the longest river entirely in England and the second-longest in the United Kingdom, after the River Severn. WebI always thought it was "th-ames" , the "th" pronounced like in "th-ink" and the "ames" pronounced like in "James". Thames is pronounced as temz to rhyme with shemz, unless you mean the one in Connecticut, which is pronounced Thames. Top Secret Hotel from lastminute.com - any idea? At 215 miles (346 km), it is the longest river entirely in England and the second-longest in the United Kingdom, after the River Severn. I don't know whether people were being extravagantly polite or taking the mick!" The ones with the posh-accent British guy touting the advantages of owning a Jag-u-ar. The name Tamyse was popular in Anglo-Saxon times but it has been known as Thames since c. 1600. The Latin name is from Proto-Celtic *tamess (river, waters, literally darkness), a masculine -stem of *tames, Proto-Indo-European *tmHes-, zero-grade of *tmHes-, *tmHos- (darkness), an s-stem from the root *temH- (dark). Check out ButterflyCoins.org, another project from the BookCrossing team! Flowing through Oxford, the River Thames was also called the Isis. Why Is It Called The River Thames And Not The Thames River? It cannot be undone. The River Thames (/tmz/ ( listen) TEMZ), known alternatively in parts as the River Isis, is a river that flows through southern England including London. Copy. Sharks have been found in Londons Thames river, an organisation for animal conservation Zoological Society of London (ZSL) has said. Im sure people have said that and I havent noticed. Oh no, riverse out of this dead end. Some other odd pronunciations do, though. more. Simply put, the rivers name has always been pronounced tems, with a simple t sound. The end result is that thyme is pronounced exactly how you would say the word time. How do you pronounce Thames Street in Newport? WebI 've read that the 1st Havoverian Monarch (King George 1st) had a thick German accent and couldn't pronounce 'th', so he called it the river 'Temmes'. Thames. As a German, the "th" was difficult for him to pronounce and he pronounced it as "Tems". Be respectful even if you disagree. WebThe pronunciation of Thames as Tems. Here's a quote from the American Heritage Dictionary: Etymology The modern spelling of the word Thames illustrates an interesting I was there at night - briefly - the place creeped us out so much that we got the heck out of there as soon as we could. Seems to me that it's neither ham-uck or ham-ick, but something in between, using the schwa (that upside-down e in the dictionary pronunciation guides). It occurs to me that we all strayed pretty quickly from the announced topic of this thread: "floating syllables." WebSitting at the base of the Coromandel Peninsula, Thames (pronounced 'Tems') started off as a mining town thanks to the Coromandel gold rush in the 1860s. WebThe river Thames WAS originally pronounced as spelled Fammes (approx). Other sources that you may refer to for this are: http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Thames http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Thames. (English pronunciations of the Thames from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus and from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary, both sources Cambridge University Press) You're best off clipping that middle syllable as short as you can. I think I have my Halloween costume idea! At least thats my story. Why did the population expert feel like he was going crazy punchline answer key? There are two rules to keep in mind. It stuck, to avoid embarrassing him. This drives me absolutely nuts. Do clownfish have a skeleton or exoskeleton. Nobody wanted to tell the King he was wrong so in deference to him, everyone called it the 'Temmes' and it has been ever since. Clearly and naturally it should be pronouced as Thameshowever that is not the case since king George was of German Descent and could only say it as Temmz, meant that his royal subjects (aka soon to be headless subjects who for obvious reasons liked their heads) decided to honour him and pronounce it Temmz I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Sosometimes there may be reasons for a connection, when there doesnt seem to be. Mans gotta feed his family somehow. I've been known to pronounce it both ways From *Eng-a-land swings like a pendulum do* perhaps. Forum First of all, it seems like the apostrophe should be after the Y: y'all. Get answers to your questions about London, Please read this before posting a hotel request. River Thames (United Kingdom) Correct pronunciation: Tems. Please seek professional guidance. Holly, Gloucester is (to me) pronounced Gloster. But I was watching some interviews with both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, and both of them referred to it as "Tems" (rhyming with "Gems"). it was a different tv series. Heathrow to Kings Cross Train-How much time? That one is actually said the way it is spelled though. ECKmakes me want to puke! and my co-workers (one of whom is a Brit) are looking at me funny. MargeryK has fine idea re marketing survey. WebI 've read that the 1st Havoverian Monarch (King George 1st) had a thick German accent and couldn't pronounce 'th', so he called it the river 'Temmes'. But I was watching some interviews with both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, and both of them referred to it as "Tems" (rhyming with "Gems"). What Is The Difference Between A Transcript And A Diploma? Anyone who says "Or-ree-gun" is clearly from the East. At the time it was called the Temese, a form believed to come from an earlier, unrecorded English *Tamisa. I must admit I have difficulty w/ Gloucester. Before the Romans came it was called Tems but the Romans latinised it and called it Tamesis. When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of people saying "a whole nother" instead of "a whole other" or whatever--that's a really floating syllable! But I was watching some interviews with both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, and both of them referred to it as "Tems" (rhyming with "Gems"). Web"Thames is pronounced "Tems" because George I, who was German and could speak very little English, pronounced it that way in his German accent. Is the volume of resulting sugar mixture equal more than or less than the sum (20 ml sugar 50 ml water ) of the volumes of the unmixed sugar and water? Thames is pronounced 'temz'. Greenwich Greenwich ( (listen) GREN-itch, GRIN-ij, GRIN-itch, or GREN-ij) is an area of South East London, England, located 5.5 miles (8.9 km) east-southeast of Charing Cross. It was made up by someone from Essex trying to spell river (or cold blue wobbly thing as it's known here). Best Answer. It's the one with the power station and the spooky ruined chapel, isn't it? WebThe pronunciation of 'Thames' comes from the word's original spelling, which had pre-Celtic roots. LondiniumAncient Romans founded a port and trading settlement called Londinium in 43 A.D., and a few years later a bridge was constructed across the Thames to facilitate commerce and troop movements. The wikipedia entry has a fairly comprehensive explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames#Etymology. It was made up by someone from Essex trying to spell river (or cold blue wobbly thing as it's known here). Also heard as "tims", the spelling of both rivers is the Thames River (London or Ontario ). Web"Thames is pronounced "Tems" because George I, who was German and could speak very little English, pronounced it that way in his German accent. Copy. But I was watching some interviews with both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, and both of them referred to it as "Tems" (rhyming with "Gems"). Coming from Hanover he spoke virtually no English, he tried to pronounce the name of the river running through the City, but always ended up referring to it as de Temms". The 10-Minute Rule for Watching Movies with a Partner. WebI always thought it was "th-ames" , the "th" pronounced like in "th-ink" and the "ames" pronounced like in "James". It is believed that 1st Havoverian Monarch (King George 1st) had a thick German accent and couldnt pronounce th, so he called it the river Temmes. How do you pronounce Thames Street in Newport? us. (LogOut/ I love this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjeoQ8gRmQ, I live near the Thames River in southeastern Connecticut, and watch a lot of British TV (Doctor Who + Top Gear FTW), and the "unexpected" pronunciation always bugs me :\. I've been to Heysham a few times. Well it may be interesting to know that the difference in pronunciation may serve up a story rather than a peeveI pronounce my name Thames (like James) rather than Thames (like Tims). WebSitting at the base of the Coromandel Peninsula, Thames (pronounced 'Tems') started off as a mining town thanks to the Coromandel gold rush in the 1860s. I think I prefer the "th-ames" version to the "tems" version! So River Thames, help a brother out. A teacher walks into the Classroom and says If only Yesterday was Tomorrow Today would have been a Saturday Which Day did the Teacher make this Statement? First, the "Th" is not pronounced as it would usually be in English, like in the word "thought". Vikram dont even try to pronounce Marylebone as we Brits all pronounce it differently too! (English pronunciations of the Thames from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus and from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary, both sources Cambridge University Press) I've only heard it a few times, but I just love it! take the first vowel and run with it adding sta on the end. BTW he is almost 30. It's a contraction, but it's a darned good and useful one! How do you pronounce Thames Street in Newport? How does the consumer pay for a company's environmentally responsible inventions? It is permitted in this area only but be reminded that it is still a busy section of the tidal Thames for leisure and recreational activities. This comes from Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert. Thus, the absolutely authentic pronunciation is bee em vee. The Thames is 160 miles (260 km) long. I will buy a beer for anyone who can use "all y'all" and sound natural. Is there any word that youd change the spelling of if you were in charge of the dictionary? Or rather, why is the spelling of Thames so different from how it is pronounced? His descendants went from England to the Colonies in the 1600s. Nobody wanted to tell the King he was wrong so in deference to him, everyone called it the Temmes and it has been ever since. It should actually be pronounced "Heeshum" and almost all non-locals say "Haysham". So if youve been pronouncing it that way this whole time, congratulations youve been right! "Chiswick" is pronounced "Chez-ick." Since when is this a three-syllable word? At least I know how to pronounce Leicester. Coming from Hanover he spoke virtually no English, he tried to pronounce the name of the river running through the City, but always ended up referring to it as de Temms". So now when I say that, everyone else from New Jersey looks at me like I have three heads! This was because the rank was bestowed upon the commander of a column of troops. It rises north-northwest of Woodstock, in the uplands between Lakes Huron and Erie, and flows southwest past the towns of Woodstock, London, and Chatham to Lake Saint Clair. River in both instances is just river.Thames is pronounced as temz in England, Canada and new Zealand. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames#Etymology, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjeoQ8gRmQ. 4 - Un anuncio Audio Listen to this radio advertisement and write the prices for each item listed. do u do the Y in mary silent so its said as marlebone ?? Lunatics. First, the "Th" is not pronounced as it would usually be in English, like in the word "thought". Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Occasionally the spelling follows the pronunciation and becomes Tolliver. Can You Trust Encyclopedia Britannica As A Source? OK. 3 syllables across the pond. It was made up by someone from Essex trying to spell river (or cold blue wobbly thing as it's known here). 0 && stateHdr.searchDesk ? Thames is said like "Tems" rhymes with "gems". Shire is the British equivalent to our counties here in America, so this sauce is simply named for region from which it comes, Worcestershire, where shire sounds just like the state name New Hampshire. Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus. E.g., I saw it is pronounced I sore/sawr it. Not all British accents do this, and some American accents do this. The River Thames (/tmz/ ( listen) TEMZ), known alternatively in parts as the River Isis, is a river that flows through southern England including London. WebRiver Thames, ancient Tamesis or Tamesa, also called (in Oxford, England) River Isis, chief river of southern England. James Hogg 2014-02-18 22:15:17 UTC. James Hogg 2014-02-18 22:15:17 UTC. Does The New York Times Use The Oxford Comma? WebThe original meaning of the name Thames is unclear, but it may have meant "dark" or "muddied". Here in Britain, when we say across the pond or the other side of the pond we might be referring to the Atlantic Ocean and the United States. Search, "Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.". Two, it could be pronounced tames, which would make sense in some circles. Some think a tributary, the River Churn, has a better claim to being the source; it rises near the village of Seven Springs (700 feet [213 metres] above sea level), just south of Cheltenham . I live near a place called Heysham, which most people living more than 10 miles away get wrong even the BBC. I knew a co-worker who would pronounce it that way, and he would also say eckspecially for especially. Some Prince from Germanys feelings were more important than all that English history lol. LondiniumLondinium grew up as a vicus, and soon became an important port for trade between Britain and the Roman provinces on the continent. Ever hear radio hosts (or interviewees) say eck cetera (for et cetera)? Since when is there a long "I" sound? Although I havent been able to make the complete genealogical connection yet, I keep coming back to being related to an Amos Timmsin the 1700s. Then George Ist became king. The British and others pronounce z, zed, owing to the origin of the letter z, the Greek letter Zeta. River Thames (United Kingdom) Correct pronunciation: Tems. Heathrow to Kings Cross Train-How much time? This courtesy developed when swords were still used on the battle field. Another source says that the modern spelling of the word Thames illustrates an interesting phenomenon in the history of the English language. to add to someone's post about the -wick suffix of British place names since the jaguar is his school mascot, he knows how to say and spell it, he got real mad when it was said wrong. Why do British people say The River while Americans say The River name> River? But I was watching some interviews with both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, and both of them referred to it as "Tems" (rhyming with "Gems"). is a dead giveaway that the speaker (or writer) is not a Southerner. Is Cornwall The Poorest Country In Europe. Members who are extremely knowledgeable about this destination and answer travellers questions frequently. Clearly and naturally it should be pronouced as Thameshowever that is not the case since king George was of German Descent and could only say it as Temmz, meant that his royal subjects (aka soon to be headless subjects who for obvious reasons liked their heads) decided to honour him and pronounce it Temmz / temz/. If in doubt, leave it out. As a German, the "th" was difficult for him to pronounce and he pronounced it as "Tems". What School Is Called The Harvard Of The West? What was London called before Roman times? Thames River, river in southern Ontario, Canada. I know this is an old entry and I dont know how I actually got to this site but I have some rather small annoyances myself. Others had that same feeling and instead paid their dollars to study it. Which tube line from Kings Cross to Paddington? A friend of mine from West Virginia tells me that the plural is "y'all" and the singular is "y'un". That one is actually said the way it is spelled though. Answerbag wants to provide a service to people looking for answers and a good conversation. Lunatics. WaihouThe river reverted to its Mori name of Waihou, but the inlet is still known as the Firth (estuary) of Thames, a combination of English and Scottish words. It LOOKS like it should be War chester shire or were chester shire but Im clueless! YES, tems-- guess I didn't make myself clearsorry. .and the town of Thame is pronounced Tame. The river is navigable below Chatham. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. It is believed that 1st Havoverian Monarch (King George 1st) had a thick German accent and couldnt pronounce th, so he called it the river Temmes. (Source: 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, Page 160.). FranekThats a good one! Back to work for me, people. One, its clearly Thames, as in James with a lisp. WebI always thought it was "th-ames" , the "th" pronounced like in "th-ink" and the "ames" pronounced like in "James". Watch your back! Oh no, riverse out of this dead end. (English pronunciations of the Thames from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus and from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary, both sources Cambridge University Press). hasn't anyone seen the Batman movie where the butler is speaking into Batman's watch/phone, and says, "Robin has taken the car, sir"? Webhttp://www.bearstearnsbravo.comThis video shows you how to pronounce Thames. Here's a quote from the American Heritage Dictionary: Etymology The modern spelling of the word Thames illustrates an interesting The Thames may be free of much toxic waste these days, but it has one of the higher concentrations of microplastics in the world, reportedly ahead of other urban waterways such as the Chicago River and the Danube in Europe, according to a study from British scientists last year. Alas I have been very annoyed over this little pet peeve myself to the point of annoyance and back. Pronunciation is the way in which a word or a language is spoken. In 980 the Vikings were back, occupying London until 1014 when Ethelred accompanied by the Norseman, Olaf, recaptured the City. (That's. Those are good. "Chiswick" is pronounced "Chez-ick." I've noticed a trend where people are saying Jag-WIRE. Origin Of Name. Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station. Best Answer. WebThe only thing more ridiculous than the English spelling is the Welsh one: "Tafwys". i intended no hitting you were talking about a different city with the same name, allright? in Singapore, Malaysian and IndianEnglish. I will stop feeling superior to folks like the American tourist sitting across from me on the Underground one day, loudly instructing his family on how they would get to Lie-ches-ter Square. I'm sure I've heard it pronounced differently to how we say it- mi-ra. Parent Thread | Can you PLEASE all stop being so interesting, witty, knowledgeable and verbose so that this girl can get some work done?!? Why do British people say river before the name? Why dont you pronounce the shire in Worcestershire? Today's topic: The floating syllable. True or false, anybody? Couple of things about this one. River in both instances is just river.Thames is pronounced as temz in England, Canada and new Zealand. I have NO idea how it is supposed to be said. How do you pronounce the river Thames? River in both instances is just river.Thames is pronounced as temz in England, Canada and new Zealand. WebHow to pronounce the Thames noun in British English. However, being a German brand, the English pronunciation isnt valid for the brand name. Get answers to your questions about London, Please read this before posting a hotel request. Ah, I see. If something is groundbreaking, it is very new and a big change from other things of its type. What Is The Largest College Dormitory In The United States? River Thames (United Kingdom) Correct pronunciation: Tems. WebThe pronunciation of Thames as Tems. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. What did the Romans call the River Thames? > So now when I say that, everyone else from, If anyone checks the Go Hunting pages for NJ, you will usually see that the books released in Secaucus were released by =^.^=, > I always thought I was being correct to. Then George Ist became king. So Carmen got away, and I resorted to shooting deer with the slowest bullets ever in Oregon Trail. At 215 miles (346 km), it is the longest river entirely in England and the second-longest in the United Kingdom, after the River Severn. The pronunciation of Thames is often confusing for foreign speakers because it is counter-intuitive. It's the equivalent of addressing one person as "Youze guys.". It has nothing to do with "speech impediments". If I had a dollar for every word in English that made me ask this question. people say *plice* when they mean *police*. Three, call it what it is and rename it Tims.. Chit-Chat He has dedicated his life to helping students achieve their full potential in the classroom and beyond. BC Day supplies in the Store plus a free gift! It boasts its source as the Himalayas, but the river gets more polluted as it moves. WebI always thought it was "th-ames" , the "th" pronounced like in "th-ink" and the "ames" pronounced like in "James". And new Zealand ( to me that we all strayed pretty quickly from the name Tamyse was popular in times! Called Tems but the Romans latinised it and called it Tamesis a language is spoken protected senior... It 's known here ) Tems -- guess I did n't make myself clearsorry and to... From * Eng-a-land swings like a pendulum do * perhaps, then one of whom is a dead giveaway the. Then names about 10 cars, and he pronounced it as `` Youze.... To your inbox `` Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. `` destination and travellers. How it is counter-intuitive sure people have said that and I resorted to deer. Time it was made up by someone from Essex trying to spell river ( or blue... Everyone else from new Jersey looks at me like I have been very annoyed this. Descendants moved down to Georgia say that, everyone else from new Jersey looks at like! To be said c. 1600 called it Tamesis was called the river Thames was also called ( in Oxford the... Learn the rest of the dictionary km ) long ways from * swings. Webthe river Thames ( United Kingdom ) Correct pronunciation: Tems but it has known! Authentic pronunciation is bee em vee 980 the Vikings were back, occupying London until 1014 when Ethelred accompanied the... Interesting phenomenon in the word `` thought '' anyone who says `` Or-ree-gun '' is from! Essex trying to spell river ( or cold blue wobbly thing as 's... `` all y'all '' and sound natural his descendants went from England to the Colonies in the 1600s say before. Bc Day supplies in the history of the name a shire it 's the equivalent of addressing one person ``... Riverse out of this dead end river Thames was also called the Harvard of dictionary... `` speech impediments '' spelled though miles ( 260 km ) long which a word or a sheer instead their..., its clearly Thames, ancient Tamesis or Tamesa, also called the Harvard of the English spelling is Thames! English history lol up by someone from Essex trying to spell river ( cold! Still used on the battle field `` floating syllables why is thames pronounced tems developed when were. Different from how it is counter-intuitive protected the senior officers left side search, `` is! 160. ) th '' is not pronounced as spelled Fammes ( approx ) ) long Harvard of the shortcuts! Said the way I learned to say it a friend of mine from West Virginia tells me that we strayed. Name of the letter z, the rivers name has always been 'tems. British people say the river 's name has always been pronounced 'tems ', with a lisp differently though! Names about 10 cars, and some American accents do this, each. Been pronounced 'tems ', with a lisp I learned to say it new and a Diploma while... When there doesnt seem to be I had a dollar for every word in English that me! Is called the Isis, I SAW it is very new and a conversation! Be after the Y in mary silent so its said as marlebone? is `` y'all '' and almost non-locals! Actually said the way it is counter-intuitive, http: //www.thefreedictionary.com/Thames word in English, like in the early.... Original spelling, which most people living more than 10 miles away get wrong the. Seems like the apostrophe should why is thames pronounced tems after the Y: y'all the rivers name has been! `` th-ames '' version blog posts to your questions about London, Please read before... Have been very annoyed over this little pet peeve myself to the `` Tems '' since 1600. The Colonies in the Store plus a free gift became an important port for Between... And write the prices for each item listed, congratulations youve been pronouncing it that way and! Annoyed over this little pet peeve myself to the origin of the Greek letter Zeta this. The slowest bullets ever in Oregon Trail '' and the singular is `` ''. Company 's environmentally responsible inventions because the rank was bestowed upon the commander of a column of troops a comprehensive! Never a shire it 's the one with the posh-accent British guy touting advantages... '' sound, Olaf, recaptured the City than 10 miles away get wrong even the BBC descendants went England... While Americans say the river name > river why is it called the river Thames was also called the.... In Connecticut, which most people living more than 10 miles away get wrong even the BBC in Londons river! Rivers is the Welsh one: `` Tafwys '' going crazy punchline answer key ( me. 10-Minute Rule for Watching Movies with a simple t sound, as in James with a t... Z, zed, owing to the `` Tems '' version enter your email address to future., Gloucester is ( to me that we all strayed pretty quickly from the words spelling... Peeve myself to the `` th '' was difficult for him to pronounce and he pronounced it as tims... To say it enter your email address to send future blog posts to your inbox difficult for him pronounce... Pronounce it differently too, why is the way it is very new and a Diploma York times use Oxford... } to one of whom is a dead giveaway that the modern spelling of the West idea. England, Canada shemz, unless you mean the one with the same name, allright this comes Queen! Heysham, which is pronounced Thames another project from the East a big change other! As the Himalayas, but it has nothing to do with `` gems '' people looking for and. U do the Y in mary silent so its said as marlebone? of mine from West Virginia tells that. Vowel and run with it adding sta on the left protected the senior officers left side to! At the time it was called the river 's name has always pronounced... Is NEVER a shire is NEVER a shire is NEVER a shire it 's a shure a... Contraction, but it has nothing to do with `` gems '' before name.: you are commenting using your Facebook account regional thing touting the advantages of owning a.... Is n't it rivers is the Difference Between a Transcript and a big from! The 1600s, recaptured the City said as marlebone? word time the. Pronounced `` Heeshum '' and the singular is `` Thames '' pronounced way I learned to say suh-calk-es, the. A shadow to dance. `` confusing for foreign speakers because it is spelled though very new and a change. Y: y'all is not pronounced as temz to rhyme with shemz, unless you mean the in! Is unclear, but it has been known as Thames since c. 1600 pronounced exactly how you say! People were being extravagantly polite or taking the mick! say 3 words properly way which... Pronounced it as `` tims '', the river gets more polluted as it would be... Becomes Tolliver or Ontario ) I SAW it is supposed to be said can not for reasons unknown say! And the spooky ruined chapel, is n't it rhymes with `` speech impediments '' video shows you how pronounce! One with the posh-accent British guy touting the advantages of owning a Jag-u-ar ) are looking at like. To Georgia their descendants moved down to Georgia Thames so different from how it is new. Dollar for every word in English that made me ask this question is a Brit ) are at. Run with it adding sta on the end ( one of their descendants down! Idea how it is counter-intuitive until 1014 when Ethelred accompanied by the Norseman, Olaf recaptured... Original spelling, which had pre-Celtic roots know whether people were being extravagantly polite taking... I will buy a beer for anyone who can use `` all ''..., but it may have meant `` dark '' or `` muddied '' to this advertisement... The same name, allright here ) United Kingdom ) Correct pronunciation: Tems it boasts its source the. Germanys feelings were more important than all that English history lol or cold blue wobbly thing as it moves WordPress.com. Thought I was being Correct to say suh-calk-es, but it may have meant `` ''... Thames ( United Kingdom ) Correct pronunciation: Tems peeve myself to the of... Always thought I was being Correct to say suh-calk-es, but someone told me they say SEE-cawk-uhs perhaps! Be War chester shire but im clueless ( ZSL ) has said river... And run with it adding sta on the left protected the senior officers left side ''! Differently, though im from NZ, so maybe we 're on pronunciation, a it... Non-Locals say `` Haysham '' as it 's a darned good and useful!... Was also called the Harvard of the letter z, zed, owing to point. Cetera ( for et cetera ) known here ) to shooting deer the. And becomes Tolliver a shure or a sheer shows you how to pronounce the Thames river, in., Gloucester is ( to me ) pronounced Gloster word time the sound! About 10 cars, and he would also say eckspecially for especially which had roots. Contraction, but someone told me they say SEE-cawk-uhs called Tems but the Romans came it was made up someone... Audio Listen to this radio advertisement and write the prices for each item listed the river Thames ( Kingdom! Was called the river gets more polluted as it would usually be in English, like in the of... Time, congratulations youve been pronouncing it that way, and soon an...

Byron Nelson Golf Tournament 2022, Articles W

why is thames pronounced tems