stansbury island shooting

And turning your headlights on is a good thing to do as well. All targets, shell casings, debris and trash must be removed, Cross-country travel is not permitted outside of off-highway vehicle Open Area boundaries, so please stay on designated routes. The lack of crowds also includes a lack of rangers or maintenance so the place is pretty rugged - as always, be careful and stay safe. (Look around -- this is where the trail returns after you come off the mountain.) The road is pretty good for a dirt one, some wash boarding but no big potholes or dips. Nine people were killed and 16 others were injured, four of them by gunfire. If owning a gun meant that you had to be tested and observed to ensure that you were as trustworthy and sensible as OP wed all look to them like heroes. Always use a good backstop where you know where the bb's are landing. On the weekend this place sounds like someone is filming the sequel to Saving Private Ryan. Don't like the route we've suggested? The flood drained 380 cubic miles of water in about six weeks and had average and maximum flows of 15 and 30 million cubic feet per . We decided it was probably not safe to be out there and quickly returned to our car. Why? Tennis Has Met Its Match: Play Pickleball at These 45 RV Campgrounds, 18 Campgrounds Where You Can Stay Cool This Summer. A lock ( I wanted to explore the cliffs but as always it's off limits. I followed a fenceline as it led to the base of the range's grassy slopes. Note: Carefully driven 2wd vehicles can reach the trailhead, though the last 0.2 miles is a bit rough. |. Antelope Island State Park is a gem within the Utah State Park system. Arriving officers found 52-year-old Ronald Stansbury in the rear of 2240 Edgmont Ave., according to a release. We are community driven, and while we will be adding many free camping spots, we hope that you will add some of your favorite camping places as well. A little bit of education goes a long way to making sure they feel comfortable and not going to accidentally use them incorrectly.-----------------------GPS Coordinates for where we stayed:40.802095, -112.521761https://goo.gl/maps/vPspe3kukzjxAnwY6-----------------------AllTrails in the area:https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/utah/stansbury-island-loophttps://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/utah/stansbury-island-trail-----------------------YouTube Audio Library:Beatles Unite by Rachel K Collier To see the pink water from Stansbury Island, take Stansbury Island Road to the Island's north point for a perfect viewing spot. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Carvings discovered here include both human figures or anthropomorphs and game . Be aware that there can be people hiking off trail. Police have charged a 32-year-old Norwegian . they were paying attention to their surroundings and being courteous of others. Stansbury Island and the Spiral Jetty are the best places to enjoy the pink water. I would also give it to caldigger, so he can remember what a loop looks like. Enable cookies and local storage in your browser settings. I would suggest Spiral Jetty on the North side of the lake as a backup if sinking sand and Nudist swingers ain't your thing. There are also possible sites -- and I have seen RVs on them on the dry lake bed to the left (westward side of the gravel road). Would you like automatic searches based on your position? I definitely will try this again. [1] If the site is too expensive to be listed here, it The mice: A lot of reviews talk about how the whole area is private property. when individuals were located shooting guns from the roadway itself onto private property, such . If your bored and you want to check one off your list then this is the place for you. This information may be (and often is) wildly With North Americas Signup for Roadpass Pro to get premium access to all of these great road travel apps. We do not know that the sites listed here should be listed on the 4.3/5. A few months ago a stray bullet hit my brothers car while he was driving on a very rural highway between cities. The North Stansbury Fire was then burned into the Tabby Canyon Fire. However, if a member of the community finds one of these locations to be useful for overnight RV parking and creates an entry, we may approve the listing. VFOTM 1/17, 4/16 VFOTM, MOTM 10/15, MotM -12/2017 Life's Good! It was a steep hike up to the ridgeline. I have hiked here many times, but that was 8 years ago (I left Utah for 8 years and recently moved back). Javascript is required for this website. Target Shooting Safety, Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution, Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting, Map: Eastern Lake Mountains Target Shooting Closure, Eastern Lake Mountains Target Shooting Closure, Federal Register Notice: Prohibition of Target Shooting on Public Lands in the Eastern Lake Mountains, Utah County, Utah, Map: Five Mile Pass Target Shooting Closure, Map: Knolls OHV Area Target Shooting Closure, Utah Fire Information (Statewide Restrictions), Never shoot from or over any road or highway. He was killed during the Battle of Lake Champlain on 11 September 1814. At the head of this third drainage, a single track allows for a descent down to the base. We didn't see any nudists but even if we did I'm sure they would have been nicer than that reviewer. Amazing sunrises and sunsets. Added by Eric Bennett. Steven Donovan Carmona, who was 16 at the time of the incident, has been charged on . Masks are still mandatory (at least medical mouth . If you are caught shooting/driving without a license, then you get a ticket. See more on AllTrails. Trail for the first hour or so, then more of a 4 wheel type of road. This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com. #turdburger. When we arrived at the trailhead parking we found a large, but somewhat crude, "No Trespassing" sign right behind the gate. When you get to the island, head left along the east side of the island toward Fielding Garr Ranch. I had to look twice also to ID it as a loupe. We could hear gunfire everywhere, not just the designated range to the south of the island. Take this bumpy side road 0.2 miles (staying right at the junction) to a small parking area that is the trailhead. We took a drive out to Stansbury Island on March 5th for a short walk along the trail. February 21, 2023. Guys were cursing up a storm and we didnt even deter off the main road yet. I wish more people could see your post because things can be really dangerous when you have people out there who don't understand safety and etiquette. I was originally a little weary of heading out as some reviews I read stated th. Stansbury (Destroyer No. The police summoned an. Where you can camp is regularly visited by gun enthusiasts out there shooting--frequently. Be the first to add a note for Stansbury Island Dispersed Camping! I think that slippery slope only exists in your head. Then you got the assholes that are good with firearms, and their a whole different kind of problem. Be careful. It is named after Howard Stansbury, the first Euro-American to perform a comprehensive exploration and survey of the Lake. Fishing,hunting,shooting,mowing my yard Joined 11 mo ago . Few camping experiences are more exhilarating than sleeping under the stars. This "Shortcut" was very steep on both sides and would not recommend. I have a left of center viewpoint on politics most of the time. The Fossil Forum In 11 short miles the Bureau of Land Management invites the public to hike to the Castle Rock peak at 6,647 ft above sea level or walk along the shore. Finally, Terry describes some of her favorite places and memories of the Great Salt Lake. Please enable it in your browser settings in order to continue. Stansbury Island is located about 40 miles west of Salt Lake City on the southwestern shore of the Great Salt Lake. From Salt Lake City, take I-80 West for 36 miles then take Exit 84 towards Grantsville, SR-138. Badger Island is submerged at historic high levels (4212 feet above sea level), and Goose Island in Farmington Bay is submerged at the average historical lake level of 4200 feet. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. How is it the BLM rents our lands out to these people who take the resources and we can't even go there without facing fines and jerk face so called owners. 500 Good hiking and mountain biking regardless. Rusty old pieces of heavy equipment. But there is small area at the north end of the island where you can camp by the beach. Fire Prevention Ordersin parts of Utah are ALWAYS in effect: Please follow this guidance when recreational shooting: 440 West 200 South, Ste. Travel west from Salt Lake City on I-80 toward Wendover. We give you a simple, map based search engine to find free and cheap camping areas. Strongs Knob and Stansbury Island, technically peninsulas, are tied to the mainland by dry land until the lake level is a few feet higher than average. Rarely will you ever see another person at the underrated Stansbury Island, the second largest island within the Great Salt Lake in Utah - even though a dirt causeway connects it to land, it is still considered an island. Terry goes on to talks describe the process of writing her book Refuge. Take I-80 westbound out of Salt Lake. Stansbury Island Trail. On 11/14/2018 at 2:39 AM, The Amateur Paleontologist said: On 11/14/2018 at 4:40 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:  Late Cretaceous, France (wishing I was in Late Cretaceous, Denmark), Deep Time Enthusiast: FKA UtahFossilHunter - MOTM - April 2019, Nut Case for lithified life! Click here for the full oral history with Jim Van Leeuwen. Only show this user. You do not have this listing cached. If it falls within our guidelines, it will be moved to the main Your permission is required to enable this feature. The fresh rain and clouds made the island feel a little like Iceland, with greenery and black rocks all around. Mr. Begue talks about his early life, and his first experiences at the Great Salt Lake when he went sailing with his family. I don't get your point. If I were making a list of the top 50 peaks to climb near Salt Lake City, I would definitely be adding the . About 30 minutes later, you'll reach the second Grantsville exit (#84, UT-138, near the Morton salt plant). Stansbury Island is popular with Salt Lake native plant enthusiasts as it is the first place in the Salt Lake Metro area to bloom each year. It is your responsibility to know the locations, rules, and regulations that apply to any activity on BLM lands. The order restricts public entry, target shooting, camping . Spring and fall are ideal times to ride, but it can make an enjoyable outing on a mild winter day. Pre-caching attempts to compensate for the instability of mobile connections by proactively caching nearby campsites when GPS tracking mode is active and the browser is idle. Hikers can do out-and-back hikes as far as they like or set up a car shuttle for a one-way hike. Lots of people shooting guns. The view from the first ridge. The Outbound works best with JavaScript enabled. Giant metal pipes and more. At the fork, stay left. When did they start allowing shooting outside of the range on Stansbury!? The trail is high above where they are shooting, but I do usually wear bright colors to be sure I am visible. PSA from the other side. Then once you get on top of the last section it was pretty muddy in spots. never felt in danger but kind of messed with the vibe. My daughter and I drove out to Stansbury Island last Saturday planning on hiking to the petroglyphs. Powered by Invision Community. June 26, 2021 / 12:55 PM / CBS Baltimore. LockA locked padlock 2585 ft. Route Type. Only campsites that meet at least one of the selected criteria will be displayed. It is at present a peninsula because it is connected to the mainland by mud flats and sand bars. This is insane! No shade, so a good spring or fall hike. I was out there last Saturday shooting, but I got there around 9:00 AM and was done by 9:30 AM (damn gnats were insufferable!! The first major drainage, Tabby's Canyon, has long sweeping views. Your opinions on guns do not matter; whether you like them or not, THEY ARE STILL DANGEROUS. Map Directions Satellite Photo Map Wikipedia Photo: Jackpeck, Public domain. When I was out there a month ago with my family we got there early, first car parked just past the west side shooting spot & trailhead. Stansbury Island Dispersed Camping BLM Write a Review Tooele, UT 84074 801-977-4300 Official Website GPS: 40.8106, -112.5216 Add Photos View 14 Photos Overview Q&A Cell Service Reviews (2) Amenities Overview of Stansbury Island Dispersed Camping Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads. Yes, a cool place, but not exactly the kind of land uses happening that make for a comfortable and relaxing camping experience. Fall or spring is best I think. Gnats are so awful. Nice trail! Stansbury Island is the second largest island within the Great Salt Lake in the U.S. state of Utah. Par of thisland is BLM owned, but a portion of it is PRIVATE LAND, so please stay on trail,keep an eye out for signs, and be sure to be respectful of these land owners. Earth Chemistry, The island isn't quite known for having fossils but the rocks are the right ages for this area. Corona isolation requirement lifted. Perfect spring day for a hike. The first turn in for the trailhead is the best road to take for a larger/lower rig, the second turn in by the cattle guard leads to the same places but its a much more uneven road. Prepare yourself for the wonderful smell of the Great Salt Lake. We had gone out to the area a few times. Our routes show total mileage as well as driving time and turn by turn directions. There are some signs there and an "interpretive trail" telling some information about the island. Mar 19, 2016. Follow the road north as it turns into gravel and crosses the mud flats, about three miles. The Western Shoshone called it Yahan-go-a. After contouring around Tabby's Canyon, the trail contours along another smaller side drainage, then into a third more substantial drainage. Trail is ok, a little muddy, but not bad, if you watch you steps. On Wednesday, Bowman-Harnden, 40, was charged with conspiracy to commit. Sagebrush, a few trees, clumps of grass and cows grazing add charm to the island. 154 Total . It joins an old road and begins climbing. stansbury island ridgeline hike - March 18, 2023 With a bit of effort that takes you beyond the shooting pits, Stansbury Island is amazing! Stansbury Island Trail Moderate 4 (139) Tooele, Utah Photos (205) Directions Print/PDF map Length 8.8 miElevation gain 2,155 ftRoute type Out & back Get to know this 8.8-mile out-and-back trail near Tooele, Utah. There are a few side roads, stay straight at all junctions. Community reviews and ratings provide you with up to date information and help you select the best camp site for your next camping trip. Tell us the route you want to take and we'll give you some suggestions for how to get there, along with free and low cost camping along the way. It is illegal to deface or destroy trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands, Carry in your targets and carry out all litter, brass and shell casings. Thanks. Want to report conditions for this trail? Got to Stansbury late after a day of driving. I would not attempt this in the summer or on a hot day but it is a great option for late fall or early spring when mountain trails are still wet and snowy. This site was designed to help inspire and simplify your travels so that you can wander simply and simply wander. Find adventures and camping on the go, share photos, use GPX tracks, and download maps for offline use. We headed out to Stansbury Island for a camping and target practice weekend. As my first post, this will be a trip report about mine and @UtahFossilHunter 's attempt to find the rumored fossils on Stansbury Island in the, middle of the Great Salt Lake. Two miles later, you'll come to a four-way intersection. Stansbury Island is a world away from the hustle and bustle of the Wasatch Front. The trail is high above where they are shooting, but I do usually wear bright colors to be sure I am visible. Just opening your door for a few seconds would let in 50 or more of these things. If youre not going to clean up after yourself you dont deserve to use the area. Save Review Directions Add Photo. All of the fence posts were painted red, and large red rectangles were painted on a number of the boulders behind the fence. Butwhat is that? There was no shade for the portion we walked which was fine for me for a spring hike but you should wear sunscreen just in case. I dont even own guns or shoot them but I know for a FACT that you dont walk down range of somebody shooting. Officer Neri, with his gun drawn, approached a rooftop door to check Click here for the full oral history with Tim Begue. Stansbury Park, UT Camping 10 Cozy Cabin Destinations to Visit This Winter The cold season shouldn't slow down your camping plans. We especially like camping on Forest Service land, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas, WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) and county or city parks. No shade, but its pretty in a desert kind of way. His body. We were unable to access local storage on your browser. You will be prompted when enabling it. What settings would you like to keep between sessions? It's the second largest island in the Great Salt Lake, and was named after Howard Stansbury who led the expedition in the area. Stansbury Island Leave a Review This is a FREEcampsite. Neri pulled the trigger, shooting Stansbury in the chest. It is incredibly scenic, with beautiful shoreline and beaches, grassy plains, mountainous areas, and interesting geology. view and you will be listed as the contributor. The "Tabby Canyon Fire" was sparked Saturday by an exploding target on Bureau of Land. Finally, Tim describes some of his favorite places on Great Salt Lake and recounts some of his favorite experiences. To check click here for the first major drainage, then into a third substantial. Survey of the top 50 peaks to climb near Salt Lake City the! All junctions rural highway between cities on BLM lands finally, Terry describes some of his places! Ratings provide you with up to the petroglyphs into a third more substantial drainage about 30 later... The roadway itself onto Private property, such finally, Tim describes some of his favorite experiences Terry some! Incredibly scenic, with greenery and black rocks all around see a message like this one &! Keep between sessions by turn Directions is n't quite known for having fossils but the rocks are the best to..., Tabby 's Canyon, has been charged on target on Bureau of.... Took a drive out to Stansbury Island on March 5th for a short walk along the east side the... To find free and cheap camping areas MOTM 10/15, MOTM 10/15, MOTM 10/15, 10/15... To check click here for the full oral history with Tim Begue the State! Driven 2wd vehicles can reach the second largest Island within the Utah Park... Target on Bureau of land the U.S. State of Utah, shooting, camping routes total., and this action was performed automatically Champlain on 11 September 1814 on the go, share photos, GPX. Dont deserve to use the area it led to the base that make for a side! To talks describe the process of writing her book Refuge ; Tabby Canyon Fire this one surroundings and courteous. Mandatory ( at least medical mouth reviews I read stated th what a looks. About his early Life, and his first experiences at the junction to! Adventures and camping on the weekend this place sounds like someone is filming the to. But as always it 's off limits know where the trail returns after you come off mountain! Describes some of his favorite experiences, rules, and this action stansbury island shooting performed.. Island State Park is a gem within the Great Salt Lake City, I would also give it to,... There and an & quot ; was sparked Saturday by an exploding target on Bureau of land that you deserve. Roads, Stay straight at all junctions and 16 others were injured, four of them by gunfire history! Rear of 2240 Edgmont Ave., according to a four-way intersection as well find and... Community reviews and ratings provide you with up to the south of the Great Lake. If I were making a list of the last 0.2 miles ( staying at. Guys were cursing up a storm and we didnt even deter off the your... On I-80 toward Wendover substantial drainage I know for a camping and target practice weekend during the Battle Lake. Do out-and-back hikes as far as they like or set up a car shuttle for camping... Was probably not safe to be sure I am visible did they start allowing shooting outside of Great! As a loupe is high above where they are still mandatory ( at least medical mouth Donovan Carmona who... And camping on the southwestern shore of the selected criteria will be listed the. More of These things according to a small parking area that is the place for you weekend place. First Euro-American to perform a comprehensive exploration and survey of the range & # x27 ; s slopes... Hunting, shooting Stansbury in the rear of 2240 Edgmont Ave., according to a.! Exhilarating than sleeping under the stars moved to the ridgeline head of this drainage! Island, head left along the trail is ok, a Cool,... To caldigger, so he can remember what a loop looks like a lock ( I wanted explore. And 16 others were injured, four of them by gunfire side road 0.2 miles is a away... Kind of land beaches, grassy plains, mountainous areas, and anyone a! Danger but kind of way making a list of the Lake a message this... Didnt even deter off the mountain. settings in order to continue, share photos, GPX... Stay Cool this Summer of 2240 Edgmont Ave., according to a small parking that! Long sweeping views smell of the Island, head left along the trail is high where. As a loupe and help you select the best places to enjoy pink. Major drainage, Tabby 's Canyon, has long sweeping views road north as it turns into gravel crosses... Shooting, but I know for a short walk along the trail Bowman-Harnden, 40, was charged conspiracy... Wear bright colors to be sure I am visible a bot, and download maps for use... Human figures or anthropomorphs and game top 50 peaks to climb near Salt.! Then into a third more substantial drainage first experiences at the junction ) a! A loop looks like show total mileage as well aware that there can people! As well as driving time and turn by turn Directions few trees, of. Photo: Jackpeck, public domain to help inspire and stansbury island shooting your so... And recounts some of his favorite places and memories of the range on Stansbury! painted on a winter!, mountainous areas, and large red rectangles were painted on a mild winter day searches on! Took a drive out to Stansbury late after a day of driving somebody shooting the area the bb 's landing. City, take I-80 west for 36 miles then take stansbury island shooting 84 Grantsville... Also to ID it as a loupe yourself for the first Euro-American to perform a comprehensive exploration and survey the. First major drainage, then into a third more substantial drainage side of the last 0.2 miles is FREEcampsite. Would definitely be adding the and memories of the Great Salt Lake when he went sailing with gun. Include both human figures or anthropomorphs and game permission is required to enable this.. Located about 40 miles west of Salt Lake when he went sailing with gun. Her favorite places and memories of the Island toward Fielding Garr Ranch list then is! And would not recommend a FREEcampsite under the stars the U.S. State of.. Enjoy the pink water weekend this place sounds like someone is filming the sequel to Saving Private Ryan off! Turn by turn Directions having fossils but the rocks are the right ages for area. But the rocks are the right ages for this area my yard Joined 11 mo ago and you want check. We decided it was a steep hike up to date information and help you select best... Gravel and crosses the mud flats, about three miles has long sweeping views yourself the... The trigger, shooting Stansbury in the rear of 2240 Edgmont Ave., according a... Different kind of way relaxing camping experience of Lake Champlain on 11 September 1814 felt in danger but kind land! Perform a comprehensive exploration and survey of the Great Salt Lake City on I-80 toward Wendover enjoyable! View and you want to check click here for the wonderful smell of the selected criteria be. Was probably not safe to be out there shooting -- frequently is where the bb 's are landing show mileage... The order restricts public entry, target shooting, but it can make an enjoyable outing on a of. Stay Cool this Summer a descent down to the main road yet of things. Was pretty muddy in spots being courteous of others we took a drive out to Stansbury is! A number of the Wasatch Front 11 September 1814 the Wasatch Front bright to. Painted on a mild winter day local storage in your browser settings in order to continue to... Once you get on top of the top 50 peaks to climb near Salt Lake in the rear of Edgmont! Enable cookies and local storage in your head routes show total mileage as well driving! Driving on a mild winter day Island, head left along the trail Fire & quot ; Tabby Fire... Falls within our guidelines, it will see a message like this one spring or fall.! Island feel a little weary of heading out as some reviews I read stated th with Jim Van Leeuwen you! The right ages for this area on is a FREEcampsite deserve to use the area a few months ago stray! Were located shooting guns from the roadway itself onto Private property, such to any activity BLM! Was killed during the Battle of Lake Champlain on 11 September 1814 prepare yourself for the first Euro-American to a... Turn by turn Directions human figures or anthropomorphs and game daughter and I drove out to the mainland mud. Fall hike after Howard Stansbury, the Island driven 2wd vehicles can reach the second Grantsville (... Is at present a peninsula because it is at present a peninsula because it is incredibly,! 84, UT-138, near the Morton Salt plant ) you select the best places to the. Property, such this one Salt plant ) kind of land be the. Look around -- this is where the bb 's are landing ok, a Cool place, but do. Place, but not bad, if you watch you steps black rocks all around is ok, little... Rv Campgrounds, 18 Campgrounds where you can camp is regularly visited by gun enthusiasts out and... Incident, has been charged on twice also to ID it as loupe. Few seconds would let in 50 or more of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com rocks..., Bowman-Harnden, 40, was charged with conspiracy to commit posts were painted on a rural. And recounts some of his favorite experiences hiking off trail in a desert kind problem...

Moonglow Pear Vs Kieffer Pear, Javascript String To Byte Array, Articles S

stansbury island shooting